Normal Topic sludge (Read 357 times)

MikeP
3A Lover

if it dont work hit it
with a hammer

sludge
07/17/19 at 06:42:20
Print Post  
so the other day i took off my pcv valve and tubes and cup to clean them and holy hell was it covered with oily goopy sludge and that got me to thinkin that if i got sludge on the pcv stuff what would my oil pan and oil filter pickup be like as im not ready to tackle dropping the pan i was wondering what product is there that i could add to the oil and well anywhere else really to help breakdown the sludge something strong would be best

1950 willys cj3a
IP Logged

Rus Curtis
Flatfender Enthusiast

Retired

Re: sludge
Reply #1 - 07/17/19 at 09:07:25
Print Post  
The best product on the market is a regular routine on service. 

You just found another example of a Previous Owner (PO) not doing what's needed.  You can find this issue in just about any component, i.e. brakes, bearings, radiator, etc.

Sure, a tear-down and cleaning resets the clock but if this is the only place you've seen it, then clean it out and each time you do a tune-up (D. 101 Crankcase Ventilation, Service Manual) - or after a couple of oil changes to ensure the engine has circulated the oil, at temperature, and done its job.

That paragraph above also points out that all the connections need to be tight to ensure no air pressure leaks - so the PCV can do its job.

I found sludge early on after getting my jeep.  A mechanic suggested a gasket on the oil filler tube would help ( I didn't have one at first).  I didn't have an original PCV valve so I used a generic one and saw no more sludge.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 07/17/19 at 09:54:01
Print Post  
Cleaning the PCV valve is one of the basic service steps.  It was probably not checked by the prior owner. 

Some here may cringe with the thought of breaking up the sludge in the oil pan.  The fear is this old crud would break free and start circulating through your engine.

Personally, I would drop the pan.

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

MikeP
3A Lover

if it dont work hit it
with a hammer

Reply #3 - 07/17/19 at 12:23:13
Print Post  
i checked the pcv valve and it was full of crud to the point of scraping it with a flathead ill get u a pic of the tube and cup but i ordered a new valve anyway cause im unsure if the old one still works and ive seen people put in seafoam or liqui moly and even la's totally awesome to clean out the engine and it does seem to work and i guess imma have to do it a few times when its oil change time i wonder if zep industrial purple degreaser would work in the oil as it most definitely works on the outside gunk

1950 willys cj3a
IP Logged

mtnman37879
Flatfender Enthusiast

Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 07/17/19 at 13:00:25
Print Post  
If ya don't want sludge then don't run paraffinic oil. It builds a thick sludge over time.

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

MikeP
3A Lover

if it dont work hit it
with a hammer

Reply #5 - 07/17/19 at 13:03:07
Print Post  
here is the neglect im dealing with

1950 willys cj3a
IP Logged

Rus Curtis
Flatfender Enthusiast

Retired

Reply #6 - 07/17/19 at 13:42:50
Print Post  
Nice......

The PCV valve is NOT like a modern PCV valve.  This one is meant to be cleaned and reused.

All parts can be soaked (maybe a little scrubbing with a small  brush or some compressed air) but should be okay after that.

Have you seen the internals (below)?  Everything should disassemble pretty easily.
« Last Edit: 07/17/19 at 13:43:57 by Rus Curtis »  

PVC_exploded.jpg ( 54 KB | 18 Downloads )
PVC_exploded.jpg

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

MikeP
3A Lover

if it dont work hit it
with a hammer

Reply #7 - 07/17/19 at 15:10:48
Print Post  
my new one disassembles fine i tried to unscrew my old one and nope it wont budge maybe at a later date ill put it in a vice and pb blaster it and work it free but right now i got my entire carb plus the hose and cup soaking in water and zep industrial purple degreaser

1950 willys cj3a
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo