Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Should I be concerned & a follow-up question (Read 503 times)

trijjicon
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Should I be concerned & a follow-up question
05/31/19 at 13:55:41
Print Post  
Hello 3A enthusiasts. I have a 49 3A that (when I have done abit of off-roading) was very difficult to get out of 4wd. It was hard to turn the front manual hubs Actually, u couldn't turn them at all. I had to drive abit forward &/or back up several times b4 I could unlock the front hubs. I've heard this is rather common. Just want to be sure there is not some other bigger issue going on here. Secondly, I have the Bestop installed but for the life of me can't figure how to secure the back window when I roll it up. I c 2 straps coming down the center of the top (inside) but the way they snap (whether I try to roll it up from the outside or roll it up from the inside)...I c no way to snap the straps around the roll-up.

IP Logged

64CJ5
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: Should I be concerned & a follow-up question
Reply #1 - 05/31/19 at 17:40:13
Print Post  
Tork build up or something like that.  Tires that are not the same diameter for what ever reason is the main cause.  Tire pressure differences, tread pattern differences and running in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement are contributors. 
I have found backing up usually will relieve the pressure.

The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/19 at 18:18:26
Print Post  
64CJ5 wrote on 05/31/19 at 17:40:13:
Tork build up or something like that.  Tires that are not the same diameter for what ever reason is the main cause.  Tire pressure differences, tread pattern differences and running in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement are contributors. 
I have found backing up usually will relieve the pressure.

And if this IS the issue, you can destroy the TC if you don't get all of your tires to the exact same diameter.  All the tires need to match!

Tom

IP Logged

Chuck
Grease Monkey

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 05/31/19 at 18:23:06
Print Post  
I agree with 64cj5, usually from driving on hard dry surfaces. You want to get it out of 4 wheel drive before turning hubs out. On the top, in line with the straps and between the window and the outer piece of the top, there are two short stubs with a button on them to snap the strap to. you can't see those short straps because of the top. All's good Smiley

IP Logged

trijjicon
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 06/03/19 at 13:58:51
Print Post  
Yeah... backing up did release the torque. All my tires r the same & I nvr drive on pavement (well, we don't get much snow down here) while in 4wd.  I do shift outa 4wd & then turn the hubs. Will need to take a closer look @ the top I have & figure out how to snap that rear window up. TY guys for the replies.
« Last Edit: 06/03/19 at 14:00:50 by trijjicon »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo