Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Body mount frame extensions (Read 91 times)

Andrew
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Body mount frame extensions
05/09/19 at 22:15:12
Print Post  
What is the proper name & part # for the bolt-on side frame brackets, 2 each on each side of the frame extending outward. They are a stamped u chanel 15" long, 4" high where they bolt onto the side of the main frame rail tapering to 2" high at the outside end. I don't find the listed or shown in the parts manual in either the frame or body section. Where can I find them listed/shown?  Thank you

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Re: Body mount frame extensions
Reply #1 - 05/10/19 at 00:18:31
Print Post  
Andrew,
This was cryptic and I am hoping I get close as I take a stab at it. 

Nothing attaches to the side of the frame that sticks out anywhere near 15" that I can think of except the front bumper and the rear crossmember (sometimes referred incorrectly as the rear bumper).  It is 4" wide and does stick out about 15" on the drivers' side.  Each end is tapered but it sticks out further to the left (drivers') side to allow for a license plate to be attached and centered under the tail light.

It should be held to the frame rails with flat head rivets but could have bolts if it was replaced.  If you have a Draw Bar (trailer hitch) then there should also be an insert between the frame rails called a Reinforcement.

What has me stumped is your post indicates you have 2 on each side.  The rear crossmember should be continuous all the way across (as is the front bumper). 

See this article for some images:
http://cj3b.info/Tech/RearBumper.html
Also:
http://cj3b.info/Dating/DatingFrames.html
I'm referencing #6 in this illustration (#1 is the front bumper).

Another image where you can see the only thing sticking out is the rear crossmember (front bumper is missing in this drawing):
http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/Tech_Drawings/frame%20dims.bmp

I could be wrong and off on a tangent.  Could you post a picture?

« Last Edit: 05/10/19 at 00:20:14 by Rus Curtis »  

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 05/10/19 at 13:09:21
Print Post  
Could they be the "hat" channels that support the underside of the tub and attach to the frame?  Based on your dimensions, I would expect your answer to be no, but I can't think of anything else that there are 2 of on each side...and also extend outward from the frame rails.  Huh

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

Bruce_W
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 05/10/19 at 23:44:19
Print Post  
  Could they be brackets for running boards or rub rails or nerf bars?  BW

Until We Jeep Again...........

IP Logged

Andrew
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 05/12/19 at 15:23:00
Print Post  
Sorry Jeepers, I should have originally stated the front pair of extensions are 7-1/2" behind the front spring rear hanger and the rear pair are above the rear spring front hanger.
athawk11: your purpose description of the extensions sounds right-on. The top of the extensions is the same as the top of the frame rail, and make the overall width of the frame with extensions 59-3/4" My 3A came  with a non-original body that is 60-3/8" wide so they are in fact supports for the outside sides of the body. My original question was based on not finding them in the parts manual to identify them by name and number. Now having seen hat chanels as used on GPW's these are body supports just done in a different manner. Since they are separate bolt-on pieces I would have thought they should have been shown/identified in the parts manual. Thanks.

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #5 - 05/12/19 at 18:21:20
Print Post  
Hi Andrew,
Knowing now that the tub is not original does shine some light on your question...and our confusion with your question.  The hat channels on all original Willys Jeeps were spot welded to the tub, thus no individual Willys Part Number for them.  Many of the vendors do sell the channels in there original dimensions, shape, and angles.

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo