Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Harrison Heater Questions (Read 234 times)

Brad Y.
Project Jeep

Learning as I go...

Harrison Heater Questions
03/12/19 at 23:54:14
Print Post  
I recently pulled out my Harrison heater and am eventually going to restore. Here are some of my questions. If anyone has any questions please feel free to add to this thread.

• Does anyone know the original paint color for the heaters?

• Did they come in more than one color?

• Does anyone know of a location to buy parts if I need to? (hoping all is good but never know...)

« Last Edit: 03/12/19 at 23:56:21 by Brad Y. »  

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Re: Harrison Heater Questions
Reply #1 - 03/14/19 at 18:57:40
Print Post  
Brad,
No expert here but I know there's a lot posted already that will help you.  Searching here, the CJ2A Forums and the CJ3B Page/Bulletin Board for "Harrison Heater" and you'll have a large portion of a few evenings or a chunk of your weekend with more than enough.

I have seen multiple colors.  I presume some were custom by the owner.  It seems most came with a "hammered" paint job.  I'm waiting on some paint to arrive in the mail but I've tested several locally available shades of hammered paint and none are that close.

In your search you'll see some of the component issues that are affecting parts.  The core is most probably the most scarce.  You'll want to know if that has a leak.  All the other stuff can be replaced/repaired.
« Last Edit: 03/14/19 at 18:58:59 by Rus Curtis »  

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

Mike P
Project Jeep

Reply #2 - 03/15/19 at 02:58:55
Print Post  
I used Hammerite, a Kilz brand, color = Hammered Bronze 41185, UPC code = 051652411850. When painting, be sure to do so when the temperature is warm per the instructions. My first attempt was when the temp was under 60F and the hammered look was grainy. I repainted in warmer temp and the hammering looked much better.

IMG_2423.JPG ( 1854 KB | 6 Downloads )
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG ( 970 KB | 7 Downloads )
IMG_1475.JPG

1949 CJ3A

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Reply #3 - 03/15/19 at 09:14:36
Print Post  
Mike,
Thanks for jumping in.  This is the paint I'm waiting on - so I was hesitant to say anything until I had a chance to evaluate how it compares.  For the record, the shades off the mark so far are: Grey, Silver, Dark Bronze, Copper and Gold.  Grey was close but not right (the rest way off).

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

Brad Y.
Project Jeep

Learning as I go...

Reply #4 - 03/21/19 at 00:26:16
Print Post  
Sorry haven't been on in a while. I will have to look at mine this weekend in good lighting. I didn't notice the hammered look but wasn't paying too much attention other than looking at the color. I don't really like the look of the hammered paints that I have used in the past but will have to see what the paint currently looks like.

I guess I will have to decide if I want to go with the original color or a modified color...I was curious if they came in other colors because I plan on changing the body color to something closer to a tan and thought that the tan and color on the heater might be too close yet off...

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Reply #5 - 03/21/19 at 10:28:23
Print Post  
Brad,
Here's an article with images that show some variation on paint/appearance.

http://cj3b.info/Tech/Heater.html

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo