Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic CopperCrawler's Project (Read 304 times)

CopperCrawler
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

CopperCrawler's Project
12/27/18 at 17:57:11
Print Post  
My plan is to build a CJ3A (clone).  I just want a cool little Jeep to build in memory of my Mom.  Since I don't believe I have any real Willys parts, I will not be restoring anything.   I will have lots of questions along the way so feel free to chime in anytime. 

I was given some Jeep parts by a friend.  According to him, this is what I got:

1946 CJ2A Frame
1950-1952 M38 tub, fenders, windshield/frame, hood
1989 Wrangler (YJ) 2.5 4cyl engine, AX5 manual transmission, NP231 transfer case
1989 YJ rear Dana 35 Differential
1989 YJ front Dana 30 high pinion, disconnect differential
Steel Arctic Hardtop

I do not have a grill, tailgate, dash instrument panel, dash glove box door, windshield attaching hardware, tailgate attaching hardware (or any hardware for that matter), etc.

What I believe I have:
1946 CJ2A frame, modified to accept the YJ axles

A 1950 - 1952 reproduction M38 tub - It has the M38 dash, but is missing the axe/shovel indents and battery box in cowl.  It is also missing any gas filler on drivers side. 

Reproduction Hood - missing Willys Stamp on sides

I don't know if the fenders and windshield are original or not (I don't know what to look for), but since the other parts seem to be reproduction, I would assume these are also.

My current plan(s):
Install the YJ engine, transmission, and Transfer Case in the Jeep.  Someone has already started on this, as the motor mounts are already done.  I will need to get it put in to see if everything will line up properly.  The plan is to discard the YJ computer and install an aftermarket throttlebody fuel injection system. 

Steering: YJ power steering pump and gear box, since I already have the brackets on the engine.  I'm not sure on the steering column, It will HAVE to be a tilt column.  Any ideas on a junkyard column would be appreciated or otherwise I'll go with something like IDIDIT.  I want the ignition switch in the dash not on the column so I might be limited. 

Dropdown clutch/brake pedals

Differentials (I have a couple different plans here):

Since they came out of a 4 cyl YJ, they came with 4.10 gears from the factory.  I would prefer 4.56's, but I might go with the 4.10s for now and change them later if I use either of them. 

For the front, I have two different ways I am thinking of going.  I do not want to use the D30 that came with the Jeep.  I do not want the disconnect axle at all.  I have a D30 here at my shop out of an 02 Jeep TJ w/4.10 gears.  It is a low pinion, non disconnect axle.  So, my choice is to cut all of the coil spring brackets off and install leaf perches, or convert the front to a coil spring setup.  Still pondering this decision...

For the rear, I can use the D35, but both of my TJs came with D35s and I broke both of them.  Since this will only have a 4cyl and 33" tires, it'll probably live, but it still scares me.  My other option is to go to Pick N Pull and get an 8.8 out of an Explorer.  That will give me a disk brake upgrade in the process.  And, even if I do install the D35 for now, the 8.8 swap will happen eventually

As far as the body goes, I would like to get a CJ3A grill and tailgate, if they'll go on the M38 body.  I'd also like to convert the M38 windshield vent to open like the 3A (but I can live with it if I can't)

As far as the rest of the build, we'll see as the build goes.

But first, I have to take what I have to the DMV this spring so they can assign a VIN.  If I can't get it to where I'll be able to register it when I'm done, I'll be getting rid of what I have and starting over with something else.

1950-52 M38???
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ

IP Logged

CopperCrawler
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: CopperCrawler's Project
Reply #1 - 12/27/18 at 18:48:53
Print Post  
OOPS!!! I started this in the wrong area.  Undecided Could you guys move it for me?  I meant to start it in the Modified 3A Project thread.

1950-52 M38???
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ

IP Logged

Bob W
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/18 at 19:50:16
Print Post  
Sounds like a cool build. I think that AX5 manual transmission and NP231 transfer case may be a bit too long for an 80" wheelbase Jeep.

Bob W
IP Logged

CopperCrawler
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 12/28/18 at 12:49:23
Print Post  
Bob W wrote on 12/27/18 at 19:50:16:
Sounds like a cool build. I think that AX5 manual transmission and NP231 transfer case may be a bit too long for an 80" wheelbase Jeep.

Well Thank You Sir!!  Smiley

This is why I felt I needed to be a part of this forum.  These little things that I'm not thinking of because I haven't worked on something so small. 

I will have to take some measurements, but I think you might be correct.  I was planning on installing a "Super Short" slip yoke eliminator in the TFC, but after you add in the length of the double carden joint and the external slip yoke assembly, you don't really gain any length for the driveshaft. 

I do work at a driveline and gear shop and we can build all kinds of custom driveshafts, but I just haven't figured how it install a D/L where there isn't enough room

1950-52 M38???
1999 TJ
1998 ZJ

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #4 - 12/28/18 at 13:32:54
Print Post  
The hood and windshield look to be M38 as well.  (the M38 hood didn't have the Willys stamps).  As does the tub but looks like he moved the fuel tank and filled in the open area for the fuel neck.  All the stuff you mentioned that you don't have will be easy for you to find.  Have fun!

Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo