Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Transmission opinion (Read 58 times)

Tom S.
Project Jeep

Wife wants old Jeep, who
am I to deny.

Transmission opinion
12/05/18 at 19:59:31
Print Post  
Attached is a picture of the transmission from my 51 project. To me, the gears look excellent but truth be told, I havenít a clue. So far only the frame has been good news. Pretty sure motor is toast. A good transmission would be a glimmer of hope. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

64CJ5
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: Transmission opinion
Reply #1 - 12/05/18 at 21:11:46
Print Post  
A tare down and a good cleaning would let you know what might need replacing.  Check out the Novak site for info and parts.
They really helped me with my M38.

The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Re: Transmission opinion
Reply #2 - 12/05/18 at 22:57:13
Print Post  
The brass synchro rings looks to be in better shape than the chevrons on the second gear and the input shaft.  That tells me this has been rebuilt at some point with a basic parts kit.   This kit would include the roller bearings between the main shaft and input shaft...and the roller bearings inside the cluster gear, so these might be in good shape too.  1st gear looks to be in serviceable condition, but could use a little dressing down.  The primary concern I have would be the condition of the clutch hub assembly, the internal springs and the three little synchro dogs.  It is difficult to tell what condition these items are in unless you disassemble it and have a look. 

Personally, I would run it to see how it performs before tearing it down.  The transmission is not that difficult to pull if you find out it needs some work.

2-1949 CJ3A†
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo