Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Buick even fire (Read 73 times)

SIDSERV
Project Jeep

Grounded from buying more
toys

Buick even fire
12/02/18 at 13:27:55
Print Post  
Good morning all,

I am looking for a new motor for my 3a and I have zero idea what years are good years.  I want carbed and non supercharged.  What years and models should I be looking for.  I am friends with a local wrecking yard owner and he said I can pull whatever I want for free so any help would be awesome.  The 3a is in the process of getting a frame up freshen up.  Not going to be a show rig by any means.  It will be my hunting rig/daily driver. 

Thanks
Glen

SIDSERV
1947 CJ2A MID RESTORE
1950 CJ3A NEW PURCHASE, PLEASE NOTIFY IF YOU FIND THE MISSING MOTOR!

IP Logged

specialty
3A Guru

1952 CJ3A

Re: Buick even fire
Reply #1 - 12/02/18 at 20:18:16
Print Post  
You may have to stick with the "Go Devil" you have. You could go with the odd fire Dauntless V6 Buick also but they are becoming few and far between. Or there is the 3B overhead valve option but that requires  cutting up your hood some. I would think that any engine with more power than what you have may require better brakes and steering plus you have to adapt to the transmission and the transfer case unless you do a all out custom. I bought a tub off a guy that put a late model 4 cylinder Chevy engine in his bt with 180hp I am sure he switched out the steering and brakes. Just depends on how much work and money you want to spend I guess. Good luck.

IP Logged

SIDSERV
Project Jeep

Grounded from buying more
toys

Re: Buick even fire
Reply #2 - 12/03/18 at 13:02:53
Print Post  
Odd fires are hard to find these days and i have heard that the even fires are usable.  Not concerned with mods.  Already have new disc brakes and steering boxes and all ready to go for it.  I have the adapters for the transmission for multiple engines.  My 134 is ready to go but i don't want to run it.  Also have a full machine here at the house so pretty much anything is possible on this jeep.  The frame still looks like new.  It is an original idaho jeep so zero rust.  If I wind using one of my sbc engines I might just build a 2x4 tube frame.  I have plenty of tools to do whatever I want to.  The tub has been completed already.  Tub looked great until I was stripping a quarter inch of bondo off the tub.  Love people who fix dents with a tub of bondo.  The 3a is on hold until spring since I am rewiring a 58 f100 at the moment.  New daily driver once it is done.

SIDSERV
1947 CJ2A MID RESTORE
1950 CJ3A NEW PURCHASE, PLEASE NOTIFY IF YOU FIND THE MISSING MOTOR!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo