Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Assisted Brakes (Read 90 times)

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Assisted Brakes
11/30/18 at 07:34:09
Print Post  
Hi friends,
I have had a search and can't find anything on this so I thought I would lob it in and see what happens.

Has anyone tried to fit a remote vacuum assist for the brakes. I have seen them used in other vehicles such as the late 60's Lotus Elan and it would allow the original drums and master cylinder to remain but give you twice the effective pedal power to improve stopping.
They seem to come in various sizes, some quite small, so in theory it could be bolted against the frame somewhere and perhaps a shield fitted to protect it if you take it off road.

Thoughts ?

Percy

IP Logged

mtnman37879
Flatfender Enthusiast

Plays With Jeeps

Re: Assisted Brakes
Reply #1 - 11/30/18 at 09:19:31
Print Post  
If ya want better stopping add better brakes. You can get bolt on 11" brakes from a 70's Jeep or GEO Tracker disc brakes can be added with a kit from Brennan Medcalf https://www.facebook.com/pg/Brennans-Garage-147768505901277/posts/

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

Rus Curtis
Project Jeep

Retired

Reply #2 - 11/30/18 at 15:38:06
Print Post  
Percy,
I was initially stumped, but after thinking about it I remembered,  Oh yeah; Search!  Using "Willys Brake Boost"  I found this:
https://cj3b.info/Tech/BrakeBooster.html

And (don't have any information on how well this works):
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/brake-booster-kit-with-vacuum-tank-fits-41-66-jeep-...

Knowing that the early jeeps eventually had a boost accessory puts it in the "possibility" category for earlier models. 

'54 CJ-3B
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #3 - 12/03/18 at 06:22:23
Print Post  
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

Thanks Mtnman, I am aware of the 11” option, I like it but I think sourcing the parts in the UK might be a bit difficult, not having so many Jeeps in the scrap yard etc. If I go for new, drums, cylinders, shoes and back plates I suspect that it may be a bit expensive.

Thanks Rus, that is exactly what I was thinking of. I can get a brand new item, manufactured for racing and kit car builders, for a few hundred quid. They come quite small so I think it could be hidden from view quite easily and the plumbing doesn’t look too complicated. In fact the Kaiser site also has a “how to install” document for their own version which could be a good source of info.

I don’t plan to do it yet as I am still just trying to get the vehicle back into one piece and have only this weekend finally got all the wheels to point in the correct direction, but I reckon I will definitely consider it in the next few years once I have a few miles on the clock.
I like the idea that it would look stock but have better braking performance.

Thanks again.

Percy

IP Logged

Dutch_Jeeper
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 12/09/18 at 17:35:08
Print Post  
You can install a remote Brake Booster, Herm te overdrive guy has a complete set. However with shipping and import it's probably cheaper to source a remote brake booster from a Volvo Amazon. I am almost certain that is the same booster as the one Herm offers.

Jeeping - The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly going nowhere and taking all day to do it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo