Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Cleaning gas tank (Read 436 times)

SteveW
3A Guru

Still Plays With Jeeps

Cleaning gas tank
11/25/18 at 09:16:49
Print Post  
I had my tank cleaned and sealed a long time ago so no rust to deal with. Ileft fuel in there a long time and had drained it and got all I could out with towels. It has a strong varnish smell and I am back working on fuel pump/ carb etc but don't need to send any junk that way. Any suggestions to eliminate a problem? I may have. I have about 1 gallon of fresh gas in there now. I do not want to pull tank if I don't have to. Also cleaning the fuel line also. Thanks
« Last Edit: 11/25/18 at 09:18:11 by SteveW »  

1950 CJ3A complete except for top. 1950 CJ3A in process of being sold to a friend. 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Re: Cleaning gas tank
Reply #1 - 11/25/18 at 11:23:44
Print Post  
Steve,  I'm not quite sure what your question is, but if you are just wanting to keep your tank and lines clean without further R&R, there are a lot of fuel system cleaners out there.  Once a year I throw a can of B&G 44k in all of my vehicles as a preventative measure.  In the 3a, I also use Stabil "Marine" fuel stabilizer in every tank so that gum and varnish doesn't form, ethanol effects are eliminated, and it also prevents corrosion in steel tanks - even above the fuel line.   

I do think you are on the right track to get that fuel system spotless, it will eliminate a big source of issues you may have down the road.  Two or three good filters in the mix doesn't hurt either!

Tom

IP Logged

SteveW
3A Guru

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #2 - 11/25/18 at 14:44:57
Print Post  
I had a couple of gallons in there for probably 2 years so it was very old. I drained the tank and I do not want any bad residue flowing in my fuel line into my fuel pump and carb. Was seeing if anything can be put in with some gas and then drained out to carry anything out or "neutralize" it. Determined to not let this thing sit any longer and want it to go on the road. I only use non ethanol and put stabil in also.

1950 CJ3A complete except for top. 1950 CJ3A in process of being sold to a friend. 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.

IP Logged

mtnman37879
Flatfender Enthusiast

Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 11/25/18 at 21:00:49
Print Post  
Two years old 100% gasoline with stabil is not that long. It should be no problem especially if you add a few gallons of fresh gas.

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

steves
Grease Monkey

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 07/04/19 at 10:57:03
Print Post  
I had CJ3A on blocks for 7 years with about 5 gallons of gas in the tank.  The tank was rusty even before I put it on blocks.  To put it back in operating order, I drained the "gas" (it had very little resemblance to gas by then), rinsed out the tank a few times with fresh gas, rinsed it with alcohol, and then filled it and refilled it with a strong lye solution a couple of times.  I brazed up some rust holes that opened up with all the cleaning.  The fuel line was completely blocked, so I rigged up some tubing and a reservoir of lye and hung it on a pole about 8 feet off the ground.  After a few days, I connected a bicycle pump to the steel fuel line, and at about 120 psi, the lye started to move.  I kept flushing it with lye for a few more days and eventually it was squeaky clean.  Caution:  wear eye protection and gloves if you try this trick.  While disconnecting the tubing on one of the last days of flushing, I splattered a couple of drops of lye in one eye and dissolved the surface of the cornea.

IP Logged

Mark W.
3A Lover

Chug A Lug

Reply #5 - 07/04/19 at 18:42:00
Print Post  
For that much work and the risk of more holes showing up I would have just bought a repop tank. Oh wait I did. but then my tank had almost 8 gallons of gas in it for over 28 years.

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5   Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pieces.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo