Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Steel half doors (Read 57 times)

MikeB
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps,
when my wife lets me.

Steel half doors
10/07/18 at 17:30:31
Print Post  
Well since no one makes them I decided to give it a try and make some steel half door for my M38. Turned out to be easier than I thought and cost of materials hasnít hit $30 Canadian yet.

Used 3/4Ē square tube about 7 feet and 20Ē of piano hinge.

Tools needed, welder, grinder with cut off disk and hard and soft grinding disks and a few hand tools.

I am about 3/4 finished just need to skin the doors and fab up a latch, on the fence about how to latch but I have a few ideas.

Basically use some cardboard and make a template of the door opening, using the template as a guide make a basic frame out of tubing, I chose to use a piano hinge so I will have a two piece door, but you could use a similar hinge that the soft doors of the after market tiger tops use.

Bending the tube to match the angle of the tub is fairly simple, just notch the tubing and bend, then weld the notch closed once you have the angle right.

Like I said I still need to skin the doors, thatís next weeks project.
« Last Edit: 10/07/18 at 17:32:43 by MikeB »  

IP Logged

bverboy
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: Steel half doors
Reply #1 - 10/07/18 at 17:37:37
Print Post  
very sharp   factory looking

IP Logged

MikeB
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps,
when my wife lets me.

Re: Steel half doors
Reply #2 - 10/13/18 at 15:46:36
Print Post  
Didnít get to finish today, ran out of shielding gas for the welder, will have to finish next weekend, as I donít want to drive the 2 hours to town and back to get gas.

Skinned the door with 16 ga sheet metal, Itís a very sturdy door you can actually put a bit of weight on it when hung, the opening is perfect as the hindge lines up with the roll bar so Iím not loosing any leg room getting in or out.

Next week finish skinning the other door and mount latches then paint, bed liner on the inside and paint to match the tub on the outside. Toying with the idea of a solid maple or birch trim along the top of the door and some map pockets on the inside.
« Last Edit: 10/13/18 at 19:01:12 by MikeB »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo