Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Complete guide to Tracker/Sidekick Disk Brakes (Read 2318 times)

stony
3A Guru

Re: Complete guide to Tracker/Sidekick Disk Brakes
Reply #15 - 03/05/19 at 13:27:29
Print Post  
Yeah I have done a bunch of research on the conversion and here is what I came up with:
The stock (Single cylinder) Jeep master cylinder will work, however you need to remove the residual check valve or replace it with a lower pressure one, as the disk breaks do not need it.  The check valve retains some pressure in drum brake cylinders so that they need less fluid to activate them.  This being the case I don’t think you can do front discs and rear drums with the stock cylinder, however if you went to a dual master cylinder you can do it as you retain the check valve for the rear brakes.  The other thing you need is a proportioning valve in the line to the rear brakes.  That is so you can properly balance the brakes because the fronts do 60% of the breaking and you do not want the rears locking before the fronts.  I am thinking about doing all 4 in the spring, and will keep my stock cylinder.

Terry
1949 CJ3A  11159   body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:  Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:  "Well, I have the inclination, maturity, and the wherewithall... but unfortunately I don't have the time."

IP Logged

Brad Y.
Project Jeep

Learning as I go...

Reply #16 - 03/07/19 at 14:09:40
Print Post  
Thanks for the response. I will look into that more. I am glad to hear that it might be possible to use the original style master cylinder since I had one on hand already to swap in. I was initially thinking just doing the fronts but the price difference won't be much to go with all 4 wheels.

It sounds like you will get to yours before I do. I would love to hear how it goes for you and if you think the stock cylinder is sufficient.

IP Logged

stony
3A Guru

Reply #17 - 03/07/19 at 16:23:18
Print Post  
« Last Edit: 03/07/19 at 22:05:33 by stony »  

Terry
1949 CJ3A  11159   body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:  Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:  "Well, I have the inclination, maturity, and the wherewithall... but unfortunately I don't have the time."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo