Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Can't get it to run at much of anything but idle (Read 1062 times)

1955CJ-5
Flatfender Master
2013 Sponsor Member
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

It wasn't always green....

Re: Can't get it to run at much of anything but idle
Reply #15 - 06/30/18 at 18:29:05
Print Post  
Do you have an in-line fuel filter?

If the old pump had a lot of rust/sediment you can bet there is more where that came from.....the fuel tank.

Are you using the original fuel tank or a new tank? Have you drained or flushed the fuel tank?

Here is a picture of the filter I took out of my CJ-5....I had already drained and flushed the tank but there was plenty of residual.....I used an inline fuel filter for about a year before changing to a Carter bowl type filter...

Your carburetor may need cleaning also....
« Last Edit: 06/30/18 at 18:37:02 by 1955CJ-5 »  

P1040066.JPG ( 932 KB | 24 Downloads )
P1040066.JPG

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #16 - 06/30/18 at 18:53:45
Print Post  
Fuel is clean as can be.  Put in a new poly tank, blew out the lines, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, and rebuilt/cleaned the carb. 

Mark

IP Logged

1955CJ-5
Flatfender Master
2013 Sponsor Member
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

It wasn't always green....

Reply #17 - 06/30/18 at 19:12:06
Print Post  
OK...I thought you said you had found the sediment in the fuel pump after you cleaned the carb.

Is the filter between the carb and pump or the pump and tank?

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

IP Logged

specialty
3A Guru

1952 CJ3A

Reply #18 - 06/30/18 at 19:32:10
Print Post  
Pull the distributor cap and check the distributor shaft for to much end play. Bring your points up on high cam like you were setting them and then grab the top of the shaft where the rotor is and see if you have any play. If you do you will notice the points opening or closing out of spec. I had this problem twice and went to a bronze oil-lite bushing and solved thee issue. This can definitly make it run erratically. Also the coil is cheap so try it. I would get an internally regulated one if you're running 12 volt and do away with the ballast of you have one. Ballast can overheat and go bad also. I use a early 70 model chevrolet internally regulated. However I just switched to Hot Spark electronic distributor module using the stock distributor and had to get a coil that measured 3.0 ohms or higher. Auto Zone has one of those if your planning electronic. I can get you the part numbers if interested.
Ron

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #19 - 06/30/18 at 22:11:36
Print Post  
1955CJ-5 wrote on 06/30/18 at 19:12:06:
OK...I thought you said you had found the sediment in the fuel pump after you cleaned the carb.

Is the filter between the carb and pump or the pump and tank?

That's right, I did, but the filter is between the carb and pump. And I don't think too much was breaking loose from the pump, as there didn't seem to be too much in the filter.
« Last Edit: 06/30/18 at 22:43:44 by Goggleeye »  

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #20 - 06/30/18 at 22:41:11
Print Post  
I figure if I'm going to get a coil, I may as well go ahead and get an electronic distributor.  What's another hundred bucks, right?  It's getting frustrating chasing down this problem.  I guess it doesn't hurt to change a lot of the other things I did, though. And, I'll have a bunch of spare parts for my cj2a that I'm going to start once I get this one trail ready. 

Ron - What are the part numbers for the Hot Spark module and coil?

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged

LKap
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #21 - 07/04/18 at 12:27:57
Print Post  
I had a very similar issue with a bad condenser.  2 brand new ones out of the box were bad.  Third one I bought finally worked.  I'd also check and make sure the spring for the points is properly set.  This will cause a misfire at high rpm.

By the way, I run a Solex. Unlike others I have NO problems with it.  The starting process takes a bit getting used to.  I initially ran it without a pressure regulator but it was really rich and I stunk like exhaust every time I drove it.  I now have an inline Holley regulator set at about 1.5-2 psi.  Runs perfect. 

Good luck with your quest to figure this out.  Just remember that that's the fun part. Once you get it all fixed up you'll have nothing left to do Cry

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #22 - 07/04/18 at 15:10:35
Print Post  
LKap wrote on 07/04/18 at 12:27:57:
I had a very similar issue with a bad condenser.  2 brand new ones out of the box were bad.  Third one I bought finally worked.  I'd also check and make sure the spring for the points is properly set.  This will cause a misfire at high rpm.

By the way, I run a Solex. Unlike others I have NO problems with it.  The starting process takes a bit getting used to.  I initially ran it without a pressure regulator but it was really rich and I stunk like exhaust every time I drove it.  I now have an inline Holley regulator set at about 1.5-2 psi.  Runs perfect. 

Good luck with your quest to figure this out.  Just remember that that's the fun part. Once you get it all fixed up you'll have nothing left to do Cry

I have a Solex too and like it a lot.  Lkap, did you know that you can buy main jets?  Just google Solex main jet and there a lot of places that sell them.  They come with a #127.5 which for here is much too rich.  A #115 is just right for Colorado (mile up).  Maybe buy some different sizes and play around.  I used to have a press. reg. but it gave me fits.  Took it off and now everything is happy joy.  You don't want a high pressure pump though, but ours should run about 2-4 psi, and my Solex seems very happy.

Gogg,  I have the Pertronix 3.0 ohm "Flamethrower" coil and it has the internal resistor.  I also use the Omix electronic dizzy.  For me, this has been a winning combination going on over 10 years now.  Never a problem.

Tom

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #23 - 07/06/18 at 16:38:40
Print Post  
Okay, I think the issue comes back to the carb, somehow.  All new ignition.  Plugs, wires, condenser, points, coil, the timing advance is loose and moving, and a little, but not much free play on the distributor shaft.  New fuel pump, clear fuel under good pressure is making it to the carb.  It ran for a short while, now I can't even get it to start.  If I drip fuel through the carb barrel, it will fire, but not otherwise.  When it was running, I had to choke it to get it to run smooth.  I've rebuilt and cleaned the carb.  I don't know what else to do.  Any ideas?  What carb adjustments can a person make on the Solex?
« Last Edit: 07/06/18 at 16:45:17 by Goggleeye »  

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #24 - 07/06/18 at 18:09:24
Print Post  
http://www.m201.com/tech/solex.htm

You have no doubt seen this.  There is a lot more out there.  I have to leave the house right now.  There is a good adj. explaination on the G503 by a guy "EricofNorway.  Maybe I can find it when I get home. 

edit:  this isn't the exact carb you have, but close enough.  Adjusts the same.
« Last Edit: 07/06/18 at 18:10:12 by aboyandhisdog »  

Tom

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #25 - 07/06/18 at 18:13:43
Print Post  
Update - Had myself a really stupid moment.  Not as bad as "is there gas in the gas tank," but almost as bad.  There is a little rubber gasket on the banjo fitting.  It had deteriorated and was clogging the fuel passage.  Now, one problem seems to be fixed, but in all my work, I created a new problem.  It is now missing, but it is a constant miss.  So now I guess I get to track down another problem.

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #26 - 07/06/18 at 20:08:07
Print Post  
Another idiot moment.  Thought I was paying close attention when I was putting on new plug wires.  I'm going to blame it on my kids distracting me, but yeah, wrong order.  But now she's running like a hot rod.  Now it's just a matter of getting her ready to license.

IP Logged

LKap
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #27 - 07/07/18 at 17:41:50
Print Post  
Congrats!!

IP Logged

Goggleeye
Project Jeep

Reply #28 - 07/07/18 at 21:39:05
Print Post  
It feels good to get it running.  It's been fun working on it with the boys. Drove it to my brother's place and was able to give my mom a ride.  Brought back good memories of dad and her motoring around in the jeep.  Appreciate all the help/advice you all gave.  We learned a lot.  Now it's just a matter of fine tuning some things and getting it inspection ready.
I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.
Thanks again,
Mark

IP Logged

specialty
3A Guru

1952 CJ3A

Reply #29 - 07/08/18 at 20:59:45
Print Post  
Congrats Mark, glad you got it going. Glad you were persistent. That's what it takes.

Ron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo