Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Electric fuel pump (Read 106 times)

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Electric fuel pump
06/03/18 at 17:20:41
Print Post  
Thinking about the fall color tour this year.  In doing some reading it sounds like vapor lock is a big concern with the guys that go there.  One of the common reccomendations was to install an electric fuel pump.  So some questions for you guys:

Does that sound like a cure for vapor lock?
If so what pump would you install?  What flow rate?
Would you remove the existing fuel pump and plumb direct to the carb? How about a pressure regulator, needed?
Could you install the e pump up stream of the mechanical pump, leaving the mech. Pump installed, kind of like a charge pump?

Appreciate any insight.
Gun

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Re: Electric fuel pump
Reply #1 - 06/03/18 at 18:43:29
Print Post  
I installed mine directly below the tank right in the line from the tank.  I ran flexible fuel line from the top of the tank (M38 tank) and then couple your steel line to the pump or to the rubber line on the discharge side.  The instructions with the pump will tell you exactly how to do it.   I put a little push/pull switch on the dash next to my light switch in an existing hole.  Then you can grab power from your light switch, the key switch, or wherever you want.  I think the brand is just a cheapie Mr. Gasket or something, but it works great. 

I only use it if the jeep has been sitting for a while like in my garage in the winter, or at the FCT say when we shut down from running hard for a few minutes to the point where the fuel has the chance to get really hot from sitting.  I'll just flip on the pump for a few seconds until I'm up and running. 

I have also insulated the fuel lines and routed them such that they no longer get very hot and that has helped a lot.  Are you 6v or 12v?  It will matter when you buy your pump.

edit:  Also, they come in different pressure ratings.  You'll want the lowest pressure you can find, say 2-4 psi or so.  The nice thing with these little booster pumps is that if your mechanical pump ever craps out on you, you just flip a switch and you're back on the road.

edit#2:  Found it:  amazon.com/CarBole-Electric-Universal-Operating-Self-Priming/dp/B01B7DCO6Q/ref=s
r_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1528072189&sr=8-8&keywords=electric%2Bfuel%2Bpump%2B12v%2Buniv
ersal&th=1
« Last Edit: 06/03/18 at 20:34:13 by aboyandhisdog »  

Tom

IP Logged

Tumbleweed
3A Guru
2016 Sponsor Member

49 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 06/03/18 at 19:46:12
Print Post  
I have mine set up just like Tom - had no issues once I installed the booster as I call it. I do the same thing - when I need it I just flip the switch and I am good to go. I know a lot of guys do not have this problem but I have had issues with mine for as long as I can remember. Even in Texas when it is hot I need to use the electric pump at times.

I'll take a picture of mine so you can see where I mounted it.
« Last Edit: 06/03/18 at 19:47:11 by Tumbleweed »  

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

IP Logged

Tumbleweed
3A Guru
2016 Sponsor Member

49 CJ3A

Reply #3 - 06/05/18 at 08:51:52
Print Post  
As promised:

« Last Edit: 06/05/18 at 08:52:16 by Tumbleweed »  

IMG_4142.JPG ( 92 KB | 4 Downloads )
IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4144.JPG ( 91 KB | 3 Downloads )
IMG_4144.JPG

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #4 - 06/13/18 at 17:37:01
Print Post  
That looks like a pretty easy install. Even for old bubba here.  I'll get on it in a week or so and let you know how it goes.  Headed to Canada fishing this weekend so I'll back burner it for a bit.  Thanks guys.

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo