Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Timing Question (Read 383 times)

MikeS
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Timing Question
04/19/18 at 17:27:21
Print Post  
So I have no inspection hole or timing marks on the front of the engine. What's the next best way to find TDC or 5* before ? Help!  L head 4 cyl.

IP Logged

1955CJ-5
Flatfender Master
2013 Sponsor Member
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

It wasn't always green....

Re: Timing Question
Reply #1 - 04/19/18 at 22:39:52
Print Post  
Do you have a notch in the crank pulley?

Do you have a timing light? Some have a knob that allow you to dial in the 5° BTDC

There were at least three timing gear covers. One with T and 5° grooves, one with a slight hump/bump and one with no marks.

You can find a close TDC by removing the #1 spark plug, (the engine is easier to turn if you remove all the spark plugs) placing your finger tightly over the #1 plug hole, and turning the engine until you feel the pressure of the compression stroke. This pressure will change to vacuum as you continue to turn the engine. TDC is near where that pressure changes to vacuum.

You then might be able to see the top of the piston in the bore, looking through the plug hole.

There is an add-on timing indicator but it needs a little tweak as it's for the M-38 with a larger pulley..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-M38-M38A1-Timing-Indicator-NOS-G-740-G-758-/173130...

I bought one and modified it...I had the un-marked timing cover..

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1372878148

Once you find TDC your rotor should be near the position shown in the picture...

dist_at_TDC-2.JPG ( 801 KB | 30 Downloads )
dist_at_TDC-2.JPG

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 04/19/18 at 22:58:47
Print Post  
Not completely fool proof, but should get you close...

Remove #1 spark plug.  Hand crank the motor with a wrench on the front engine pulley.  Cover the spark plug hole with your thumb.  Turn the engine clockwise until you feel pressure pushing your thumb out of the spark plug hole.  Once the pressure stops pushing on your thumb, turn the engine counter-clock-wise a small amount. This should get you close enough to start the engine. 

Check the position of the distributor rotter.  If still in the stock position, it should be pointing at about 4 o'clock.

Hook up a vacuum gauge at the intake port, then start the engine.  Let it warm up, then loosen the distributor.  Slowly turn it back and forth to find the position where your vacuum gauge shows maximum vacuum.  Now turn the distributor counter-clock-wise a few degrees, then lock it back down.  You will will be very close to perfect timing for your engine.  At this point, you will probably need to make some minor adjustments to your carburetor. Or maybe not.

Edit: Randy types faster than I do. Cool
« Last Edit: 04/19/18 at 23:02:17 by athawk11 »  

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

MikeS
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 04/23/18 at 15:18:35
Print Post  
I think I can work with most of that other than looking through the plug hole cause its a flat head and the piston is off set.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo