Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Brake Upgrade for CJ3A (Read 101 times)

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Brake Upgrade for CJ3A
02/06/18 at 09:06:17
Print Post  
Gents,
Looking for some advice from the "A Team" here.  I've got a set of factory brakes on my 50 3A, I have nev er been happy with them.  They seem to require continual adjustment and service, the brake pedal is hard to push and it just seems that they are much less effective than they should be.

I've got two roads to go down here, I can tear the brakes a part and do a complete factory re-build, my fear is that I will end up with what I have now, or I can do an upgrade, what do you guys suggest?  Does anyone have a good upgrade that is relatively easy to install?  What are your thougths, looking for suggestions.
Gun

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

mtnman37879
3A Lover

Plays With Jeeps

Re: Brake Upgrade for CJ3A
Reply #1 - 02/06/18 at 16:58:19
Print Post  
I'm currently restoring a 1950 CJ3A and I have decided to go with 11" brakes all around. The stock 16" wheels fit over these brakes. I'm using 1972 CJ5 brake parts. The other option was disc brakes from a GEO Tracker. i bought the bolt on  brackets to hold the calipers and the rest of the parts are stock Tracker. The reason for not going this way was that the stock 16" wheels do not fit over the caliper.

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

Bob W
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/18 at 07:20:31
Print Post  
With 11" brakes it will stop on a dime and there is very little modification that needs to be done to make them fit.

Bob W
IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #3 - 02/11/18 at 11:47:46
Print Post  
I have the 11" brakes also and am very happy with them.  Be advised that the primary shoe is in the opposite position as with the 9" brakes.  I am forgetting which is which, but I believe the primary shoe goes in the rear position whereas it is in the front position on the 9" brakes.  But don't take my word for it! Huh

Tom

IP Logged

64CJ5
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #4 - 02/13/18 at 12:38:51
Print Post  
Several years ago I got an 11" kit from Mile High Jeep in Denver for our CJ5.  They stop the Jeep with authority.  I am very happy with this up grade and I am planing on putting the 11" brakes on my 52 M-38.

The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #5 - Today at 18:53:46
Print Post  
Thanks guys, couple questions, the 9 and 11 inch brakes mentioned here, are these the size of the brake shoe using the original drums, and master/ wheel cylinders or are we talking about a set of disc brakes with external calipers and discs?  Additional Qusetion, Mile High Jeep in Denver, do they have a web site?  I looked for them and they didn't come up in a google search.  Thanks Gun
« Last Edit: Today at 18:56:08 by Gunslinger »  

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

Bob W
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member

Reply #6 - Today at 20:44:38
Print Post  
Drum brakes are measured by the inside diameter of the brake drum. 9" is stock for an early CJ. In the '70s CJs went to self adjusting 11" drum brakes. This is what most 11" conversion parts are based on. Early Wagons and Trucks also used 11" brakes but they are less desirable.
« Last Edit: Today at 20:45:14 by Bob W »  

Bob W
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo