Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best T90 Parts Suppliers (Read 902 times)

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Best T90 Parts Suppliers
01/15/18 at 04:03:57
Print Post  
Hi everyone.
I am just about to strip down the T90 as it is in need of a complete rebuild. I am looking to buy a rebuild kit (size to be established) and wondered what the current opinion is about who supplies the best ones.
I only want to do this job once but have some concerns about the quality of some modern replacement parts.
I can get a cheap kit from India which I suspect will require replacement in a few years or I can spend a lot by buying from the USA….however I don’t want to spend the big money to have the label on the parts say “Made in India”.
In brief who would you use to guarantee the quality and hopefully made in the states ?.

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Re: Best T90 Parts Suppliers
Reply #1 - 01/19/18 at 04:06:46
Print Post  
Hi everyone , any ideas ?. The box is coming apart this weekend and I am keen to crack on.   Smiley

IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 01/19/18 at 10:58:08
Print Post  
Hi Percy,

Don't be surprised if the kit from a USA supplier originated in China or the Philippines.

This is kind of a tough question to answer without knowing the current state of the T90.

Are you tearing it down because it has a certain symptom?  Ie...pops out of 2nd gear, etc.  Or are you gutting everything because you don't want future problems and it's easy to access right now?

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #3 - 01/19/18 at 12:38:14
Print Post  
Hi, when I had the chance to drive a short distance it really didn't want to go into gear without crunching...no synchro me thinks......however having opened it up all the bearings are shot and the box was full of water. As a result I plan to replace a much as possible in one go and hope to save the gears and some of the bigger parts depending on their condition. Having got this far it seems a shame not to do as much as possible rather than to have to re-visit it in a year or so.
I note that some kits have sealed bearings which I think is a good idea so am keen to at least get a kit that provides that.

IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #4 - 01/19/18 at 18:08:06
Print Post  
I know this approach may slow your roll a bit, but here is my suggestion...

Many here have vast experience rebuilding the T90.  Open it up and show us what you're working with...gear by gear.  You're going to have wear on the first/reverse slider and the cluster gear.  Unless completely disintegrated or cracked, these can be reused with success, even with a fair amount of teeth wear.

My experience is this; anything with chevrons gets replaced, except maybe the input shaft.  This includes the synchros, the complete synchro clutch hub assembly, and second gear. For me, the chevrons are the key to a happy transmission. If chewed up at all, they're out.  Additionally, the "small parts" should all be replaced. Roller bearings, thrust washers, etc.

That said, your T90 may have a new second gear. It may have other very serviceable parts I've listed that really don't need to be replaced.  So, show us, because one of the three little synchro "dogs/keys" could be broken...and this might be the only part your transmission needs. Smiley

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #5 - 01/20/18 at 10:49:50
Print Post  
I am hopefully going to strip it tomorrow so will post a few photos for everyone...at the very least it will provide some amusement !! Smiley.
All the small and wearable parts were going to be done as a matter of course but your opinion regarding the big stuff will be helpful.

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #6 - 01/25/18 at 03:16:01
Print Post  
Ouch, I have stripped the box and the first thing that I can see is that the needle bearings were rusted to the gear cluster !. Once removed they appear to have left a nice even scoring were each sat. It all needs cleaning for final inspection but I think that this part is unserviceable already. I fear for the rest.  Pictures to follow. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #7 - 01/25/18 at 11:20:06
Print Post  
Yah Percy.   I'm with you.  That inner bore really needs to be baby butt smooth.

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #8 - 01/27/18 at 12:16:23
Print Post  
Ok the good new is that there isn't any.

It would appear that every gear has an issue. I am usually quite optimistic about reusing some items to keep costs down but I think that in this case the whole bunch of internals will need replacing. I can't find one bearing surface that isn't damaged in some way and there is clearly visible moment between all the bushes and the shafts.
That's a big hit I was hoping to avoid but I guess it has to be done to be able to drive with confidence. I don't want to have to remove it again in a few months time !!
Photos attached for a laugh. Undecided
« Last Edit: 01/27/18 at 12:21:21 by PercyUK »  

DSC02743.JPG ( 2612 KB | 25 Downloads )
DSC02743.JPG
DSC02762.JPG ( 2614 KB | 23 Downloads )
DSC02762.JPG
DSC02749.JPG ( 2568 KB | 22 Downloads )
DSC02749.JPG
DSC02754.JPG ( 2837 KB | 21 Downloads )
DSC02754.JPG
DSC02761.JPG ( 2472 KB | 27 Downloads )
DSC02761.JPG
DSC02756.JPG ( 2526 KB | 22 Downloads )
DSC02756.JPG

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #9 - 03/05/18 at 03:58:42
Print Post  
Hi everyone,
Well I decided after much deliberation that there was nothing in my gearbox box that could be saved so opted for the Omix rebuild kit. I fancied the Novak one but after adding the cost of the new gears it became too expensive.
I was hoping the Omix kit would have everything required, as suggested in the adverts.
I have to say that I am a little frustrated. Apart from the bearings the rest appears to have been made in India with the obvious variation in quality, some good some not so good.
The gears look ok but it’s the small things that matter.
The spacers that go between the cluster gear roller bearings were so badly machined that they would not fit over the shaft or inside the bore. They were also much thicker than the originals which I managed to salvage.
There was no gear spacer that fits on the main shaft and only 72, and not 88, needle bearings!!.
As you can imagine the rebuild has stalled until I can source more bearings.
The front bearing retainer did have an oil seal machined into its inner face which seems the obvious solution to the old felt washer however the pivot for the clutch fork was ˝ inch further forward which would upset the geometry of the clutch however I have managed to rectify this on the lathe.
I hope that you guys and girls have not experienced the same problems and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works ok once installed.
I will keep you updated.

IP Logged

Dutch_Jeeper
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #10 - 03/07/18 at 02:52:02
Print Post  
I'm sorry to late seeing this topic, since you are in the UK there are some good parts suppliers in the Netherlands.

Staman International Trading: http://www.staman.nl/

HO Wildenberg: https://www.wildenbergparts.nl/

Jemax Jeepparts: https://www.jemax-jeeparts.nl/nl/

And i heard some good things about Jeep Village in France:

http://www.jeepvillage.com/index.php?entry=212&lang=1&mmond=1

(I believe they bought alot of the old stock parts from the Hotchkiss factory)

All of them can deliver NOS, good repro and used parts

Jeeping - The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly going nowhere and taking all day to do it

IP Logged

PercyUK
Project Jeep

Reply #11 - 03/07/18 at 03:41:00
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Dutch Jeeper. I was a bit disappointed as it took three weeks for the kit to get to me at great expense and I had high hopes. As it is the box is still in bits on the bench whilst I source more needle bearings.
I am looking forward to the day when I can race around some country lanes in my Jeep.
I will add your links to my list of suppliers that I am building up and will bear them in mind in the future.
Cheers
« Last Edit: 03/07/18 at 03:42:06 by PercyUK »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo