Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another seat frame question (Read 1563 times)

AnthonyC
Grease Monkey

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: MOREseat questions
Reply #15 - 08/13/18 at 13:20:03
Print Post  
Hi everybody!Has anybody used the foam to replace the lower seat springs on a 3a? Trying to figure out what to use , I have 1 lower spring but its pretty rusty.

\Thanks!

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Re: Another seat frame question
Reply #16 - 08/13/18 at 14:36:16
Print Post  
To the best of my knowledge, unless you send in a set of your own springs to a seat company, what they will build you is a set of seats with foam cushions.  So, yes, a lot of us are using foam.  I had Beechwood Canvas build my seats and they use a pretty dense closed cell foam for both the bottoms and backs.  They are dense so I have a very thin gel pad and then a regular seat pad over that that I have added for comfort.  I can ride all day now in comfort, but if you are a big guy, adding the pads for comfort might not be an option as they will cut down on the steering wheel clearance.  Still, they aren't too bad all by themselves.

Tom

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Re: Another seat frame question
Reply #17 - 09/03/18 at 09:55:28
Print Post  
I'm using foam on mine as well, I went to a sewing/ foam specialty shop and they helped me pick out two different densities of foam, a heavy density 2 inch for the seat base, and a 2 inch lighter density that sits on top of the base foam.  Idea being when you sit on it,  the the top piece gives you comfort, the heavy piece gives you the firmness.  Backs are the 2 inch light foam.  Works OK.

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo