Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Winch plate and winch wiring. (Read 97 times)

MikeB
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps,
when my wife lets me.

Winch plate and winch wiring.
12/29/17 at 11:02:28
Print Post  
My M38 is not stock, so a period correct solutiona are not needed but I do want something that does not look out of place.

Firstly, I am Mounting a 8500 lbs winch, but can not find a mounting plate specifically for a CJ3 or M38.

What have some of you done in the past to mount your witches? Made your own mounting plate, modified something from a different era?

Second question, I relocated the battery to the rear, running 2/0 gauge cable from the battery pos + to a bus bar on the fire wall, and grounded the battery neg - to the chassis with 4 gauge.

Should I be ok running the winch pos + to the firewall bus bar with 4 gauge and the winch neg -  to the chassis also with 4 gauge or should I run both back and connect direct to the battery, if I do that I would need to run 1 or 0 gauge to counter amp drop.

Third question, should I use a inline fuse or circuit breaker on the winch pos + cable? Would need to be around 300 amps if I do. I do have a battery isolation switch on the battery neg - cable.

IP Logged

johnrb3b
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012

No such thing as too many
Jeeps

Re: Winch plate and winch wiring.
Reply #1 - 01/05/18 at 12:13:24
Print Post  
MikeB wrote on 12/29/17 at 11:02:28:
Firstly, I am Mounting a 8500 lbs winch, but can not find a mounting plate specifically for a CJ3 or M38.
What have some of you done in the past to mount your witches? Made your own mounting plate, modified something from a different era?

My first try was make my own mount using angle iron, U-channel, etc. I broke it once and rebuilt it stronger. Now I'm going to replace it with a generic, Harbor Freight mounting plate, modified as needed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-62446.html

Quote:
Should I be ok running the winch pos + to the firewall bus bar with 4 gauge and the winch neg -  to the chassis also with 4 gauge or should I run both back and connect direct to the battery, if I do that I would need to run 1 or 0 gauge to counter amp drop.

I'd say you'll be OK with 4/0 to the bus.

Quote:
Third question, should I use a inline fuse or circuit breaker on the winch pos + cable? Would need to be around 300 amps if I do. I do have a battery isolation switch on the battery neg - cable.

Yes, protect it separately.
But
I doubt you need 300A. My 9,000lb winch is wired with a 100A breaker and it's good. I've pulled myself out of axle deep sand with it. No problem.
« Last Edit: 01/05/18 at 12:16:35 by johnrb3b »  

1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper --- '84 camper

IP Logged

duffer
Project Jeep

Just old

Reply #2 - 01/09/18 at 21:13:50
Print Post  
Protecting a winch circuit is sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Current draw a stall will vary a lot between different winches but rest assured, if the pull rating is 8000 lbs or more, the draw is going to be far greater than 100 amps.  For the classic Warn 8274, the draw at stall is listed as 480 amps.  Therefore, if you wish to maintain the full pull rating for the winch, you would have to have that large of breaker.  And if you did put that breaker in, what happens if you do short it?  You will still have your own version of an on-board welder working under the hood likely well before blowing the breaker.

I gave this a lot of thought and finally just ran the winch cables in my 3B sans protection but those leads are VERY WELL protected.  Those are 2-0 welding cable with two layers of split loom all mounted in EDPM/stainless steel Adel clamps.  One could put something like a Tweco a welding cable quick connect in the line to allow a speedy disconnect.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/tweco-cable-connector-positive-cam-1-0-3-...

48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR&&&&John, Bozeman, MT

IP Logged

duffer
Project Jeep

Just old

Reply #3 - 01/09/18 at 21:23:03
Print Post  
Winch mounting?  If you have a welder and the skill to use it, the options are countless.
My latest version that mounts either the early Warn/Belleview or the 8274.

No purchased parts in that mounting.

48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR&&&&John, Bozeman, MT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo