Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) water pump performance? (Read 1279 times)

Tumbleweed
3A Guru
2016 Sponsor Member

49 CJ3A

Re: water pump performance?
Reply #15 - 12/21/17 at 15:09:28
Print Post  
Hey Tom,

Just had a brain fart, I mean a brain storm..........

The position of your fan blade to the shroud! I can get a shot of mine tonight. Is it possible that the shroud is too small and not sucking enough air thru the radiator?

Just read a post on the 2A page about a guy who was always overheating and he put an electric fan on his rig and problem was solved with overheat issue.

So this made me thing of the fan position. Also I have seen some posts where guys have installed a 5 blade fan.

Ewwww.....I may be on to something Shocked
« Last Edit: 12/21/17 at 15:10:13 by Tumbleweed »  

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #16 - 12/21/17 at 15:42:39
Print Post  
Hold on to your brain, George!  Actually I do have a 5 blade fan  - I recall we may have spoken about this before.  It's all alum. and nice and light.  Now, is the blade pitch the same as OE?  I don't know, but I want to believe it is moving as much air.  (But, maybe I SHOULD try an OE fan???)  And, thanks to Lee, I bought a "shroud extension" a couple of years ago in order to assure that I was pulling fully through the radiator.  As I recall, it did help some.  Everything seems to help a bit and I'm hoping that the new water pump gets me all the way home.

Tom

IP Logged

Tumbleweed
3A Guru
2016 Sponsor Member

49 CJ3A

Reply #17 - 12/21/17 at 15:53:24
Print Post  
I'll be watching and waiting............

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

IP Logged

Lee
Flatfender Enthusiast

Will-is enthousiast

Reply #18 - 12/21/17 at 19:14:50
Print Post  
Tom, I did not remember you having an electronic dist..... That being said, perhaps you will change the water pump, I doubt it will change anything, but go ahead and prove me wrong, LOL... One other thing, seems modern Gage's register all over the place, Bruce's in Uncle Linden shows over 200 all the time, he has checked temp with a temp gun and showed approx. 180. Perhaps yours is not reading correctly as well....... We had a mild fall here, winter so far has been tolerable! And we have around 5" of snow. It's supposed to drop below zero over the holidays but that's ok, I have a big woodpile, LOL. I do not ice fish and have no need to go on a frozen lake, several have lost there life's in the past few weeks in persuit of fish, ice thickness is now 6" locally they tell me, up north they are driving on the lakes. Hope all is well with you Tom, and happy holidays!

Lee Wink

American Engineered Rolling History

IP Logged

Steve R
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #19 - 12/23/17 at 16:11:43
Print Post  
Don't see that you have tried replacing the water temp gauge. I went nuts trying to figure out my overheating. Took it to an old time radiator shop in Winchester Va (they had an old Jeep Tuxedo in a corner of the shop). They did a drop test (see if the water runs out of the radiator fast) and showed me the temp readings at the thermostat housing ((165) and at the top of the radiator and bottom. Told me the gauge was bad. Changed the gauge and overheating went away. I was surprised in earlier change outs of thermostats at how rusty the thermostat retainer was. Changed that out the last time I changed thermostats. Good luck...

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #20 - 01/11/18 at 08:38:21
Print Post  
Just a couple cents to add, I struggled with this one as well, bored the motor t0 .60 over and my temp goes to 200, no matter what, long rides, short rides up hills, it sits at 200.  Changed thermostats several times, running a 160 now, tested it, it opens at 160.
Swapped gauges, no change. Flushed the radiator, replaced it with a new rad, no change, finally I used an meat thermometer and mapped the radiator for hot and cold spots, that was interesting but not helpful.
Finally I agreed with the jeep and accepted that it was going to run at 200, since then we haven't had any more disagreements and its fine.

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

mtnman37879
3A Lover

Plays With Jeeps

Reply #21 - 01/12/18 at 10:20:33
Print Post  
When you bored your engine the walls of the water passages are now thinner. This causes foam to form on the walls due to the extra heat. Water wetter will fix this problem. https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo