Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Title. VIN. Homebuilt. What would you do? (Read 150 times)

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Title. VIN. Homebuilt. What would you do?
11/26/17 at 22:18:18
Print Post  
Hey folks,
I'm thinking of finally trying to get my Jeep "legit" in the eyes of the state. I checked out getting insurance on my Hagerty insurance account, and it came up with 8 dollars premium per year. Really. Probably because I'm the only driver and combined with my other policy that's all I'd need for an old stock Willys.
But as for registering, I have issues: I live in CT which is a non-title state for older vehicles. But you do need to have a copy of the previous owners registration card. I have neither. The folks I got it from got it from got the Jeep from a relative of theirs before I came around and it sat in their woods behind their house for years. Before they got it the Jeep apparently it lived most of it's life as a plow vehicle at a service station...no plates.
So I came along in 2006 and got it for one dollar; that's about what it was worth.
I've put alot of work into it, and I'm at the point where I won't take if further if I can't get a registration.
Connecticut REQUIRES a title or previous owners registration, OR, it seems like it MIGHT be possible to pursue a "homebuilt" registration.

So, here's my question: Would I be killing too much value of the vehicle if I get a new state issued VIN number and the old one get's wiped out, or even confiscated? (I do have the original VIN plate)
What would you do?
I have read a bit about going the Vermont route....not sure I want to do that, but I might if anyone has good opinions about that.

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Re: Title. VIN. Homebuilt. What would you do?
Reply #1 - 11/27/17 at 09:42:36
Print Post  
This may be a reach, but I wonder if The CT DMV has a record/copy of the previous owner's registration card?  If so, perhaps that owner (if you can find him) would be willing to sign an affidavit that he sold you the rig.

I don't think you diminish the value of your Willys by getting the state issued VIN, but to be safe, I wouldn't give them a chance to take the data plate.  Hide it...lose it...for a little while. Wink
« Last Edit: 11/27/17 at 09:44:04 by athawk11 »  

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #2 - 11/27/17 at 12:47:54
Print Post  
Yes, I won't let that SN plate go! It's just cool in it's own right. I believe records for vehicles in CT don't go that far back. CT has been through some tumultuous times in the DMV/Emissions departments in the recent past.
I initiated the process today....I will report back as this proceeds. I know a couple folks who know some folks who may help me cut through the chaff.
I also got someone who will help me trailer the Jeep to a VIN confirmation location, which are basically Emissions Test Centers. Before ANYTHING can proceed, the VIN must be certified. Until recently a local policeman could do that, but not now. So I'm starting in on the convoluted process...Insurance, VIN confirmation, tax, then I don't know...I hope to get instructions from the DMV at that point.

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

mtnman37879
3A Lover

Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 11/27/17 at 17:04:18
Print Post  
A state issued number will call your jeep a 2017 homebuilt and insurance and inspections could be a problem. Look around, you can find an attorney to do the work needed to get it titled with your number plate. It'll cost a couple of hundred. Well worth it.

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

RICKG
Flatfender Enthusiast

I never met a mule i didn't
like.

Reply #4 - 11/27/17 at 18:39:48
Print Post  
Good point Mr Mtn.. mtnman37879 wrote on 11/27/17 at 17:04:18:
A state issued number will call your jeep a 2017 homebuilt and insurance and inspections could be a problem. .

What if.. 2017 homebuilt requires: belts, airbags,  cat converter, the list could be long.

OD MULE MC51986

IP Logged

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #5 - 11/27/17 at 22:27:28
Print Post  
I read a little more about "Home Made" (that's what CT calls it). There is an affidavit form H-115 that has sections for the applicant to explain where the vehicle came from, and attesting that there are no encumbrances, liens, etc. I don't get the vibe that they stick the current year regulations to it. I also get the vibe that it's not an option for my situation anyway.

I believe my VIN is going to be searched for tomorrow in the system. Stay tuned.

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #6 - 11/28/17 at 12:30:20
Print Post  
Keep us in the loop.  These types of challenges can be painful, but it's always interesting to find out what the final resolution looks like.

I faced some daunting title challenges with a couple of mine.  Don't want to go too deep into the details.  Let's just say, I may have done some things that might be considered unscrupulous.

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #7 - 11/28/17 at 12:32:59
Print Post  
Update: My Jeep's VIN is NOT in the DMV's system. I need not find past owners. This is good. I must get a VIN verification (certified service station will verify the vehicle and S/N plate are legitimate), fill out an ownership affidavit form, provide a bill of sale (I have that....I paid the kid 1 dollar!) and go to the DMV.
I can't get a VIN verification until my day off Dec. 15th. I will update when I get that done...

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

RICKG
Flatfender Enthusiast

I never met a mule i didn't
like.

Reply #8 - 11/28/17 at 14:47:06
Print Post  
Fingers Crossed! (That's gunna be a LOOONG 2 weeks!)
« Last Edit: 11/28/17 at 14:48:04 by RICKG »  

OD MULE MC51986

IP Logged

garage gnome
YaBB Administrator
2013 Sponsor Member

Rustologist

Reply #9 - 11/29/17 at 06:03:43
Print Post  
At least you can get it registered without a title. In Mass, no title= no go.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

IP Logged

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #10 - 11/29/17 at 12:19:36
Print Post  
Hmm, I used to live in Massachusetts (17 years ago) and cars older than 15 or 20 years were not issued titles when registered.
I was under the assumption that all of the New England states are no title states for older passenger and SUV type cars. Pickup trucks I'm not sure of....

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

squidtone
Flatfender Enthusiast

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #11 - 12/09/17 at 12:36:42
Print Post  
Phase II complete: VIN verification.
I had a friend who has a pickup and trailer, so we loaded it up this morning and headed out to a certified service station that can do VIN verifications. The young fella looked amused upon seeing my project. He said he needed to see another S/N on the vehicle besides the aluminum plate on the firewall, but I explained to him there are no other numbers on a 1950 CJ3A. He was satisfied (I had Bob W's book as a backup, but I didn't need to pull it out!) and he entered my Jeep into the system, printed out a document, and I'm good to make my attempt at the DMV now.
More updates to come...

Picture attached is the little Jeep this morning after we got back. Sad development however: I found the #2 spark plug depression filled with coolant. I think the head on this thing is cracking and crumbling on me. Bleah.   Uuuuummmm, never mind, I'm embarrassed to say that it was from the upper radiator hose. All my hose clamps were rather loose. However, the oil in the pan is mud colored. I will be pulling the head in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: 12/09/17 at 16:18:08 by squidtone »  

20171209_093218.jpg ( 588 KB | 1 Download )
20171209_093218.jpg

Dave Miles
Presently:                
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7
IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #12 - 12/09/17 at 18:20:12
Print Post  
Beautiful 3A!  Looks like more than one PO had a hard time settling on a color.

Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo