Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Hello. New guy. Commando vs. CJ3A (Read 189 times)

JohnM
Grease Monkey

Still Plays With Jeeps

Hello. New guy. Commando vs. CJ3A
08/25/17 at 14:15:08
Print Post  
I am ready to be a Jeep guy again. I have two wild boys (5 and 8), and we fish and live by the river. My 1st Jeep was a 1971 Commando. I know that car and its engine. But recently, I found a CJ3A...so, I am torn. My grandfathers both were in the Army in WW2 and drove Jeeps. One also bought or brought one when he returned. So I know you guys are partial to CJ3A, but can anyone give me a plus/neg of one vs. the other. With the Commando, I could go to Advance and order a lot of parts...new alternator, etc. I know nothing about this Go Devil engine. I can do some engine stuff. I consider myself handy, but I have never rebuilt an engine or messed with transfer cases. I know old Jeeps are old, but anyone have any advice? If the price and condition is the same, what are advantages/disadvantages of the two? I am open to anyone's opinion. Thanks.

IP Logged

Kirkski
Flatfender Master
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: Hello. New guy. Commando vs. CJ3A
Reply #1 - 08/29/17 at 08:19:37
Print Post  
John,

I love my CJ-3A, and I have since I can remember it was a family vehicle.

For me it was an act of love to restore mine, it was time consuming and I learned a lot, especially through the folks on this site. Jump in the waters fine.

I don't know the Commando at all, but the 3A does have seen limitations, so mine never sees highway. Cuts down on the "trips" I make with it.

Regards
Kirk

'52 CJ-3A

IP Logged

athawk11
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #2 - 08/29/17 at 11:50:34
Print Post  
We here at the 3A Page will be partial to the ‘Old School’ feel of the CJ3A.  It has 1950s limits…and we like it that way.  They are crowd pleasers.  They can climb nearly any obstacle.  They are small, thus easy to store.  They are simple to figure out and work on.  Nearly every part you might need is available locally or online.

The Commado is a cool vehicle.  As you know, it will have more creature comforts and the power of a 70s vehicle.  Did your ’71 have the Dauntless engine?

All things considered, It really is a personal choice.

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

Brad
Project Jeep

Just for fun

Reply #3 - 09/22/17 at 00:53:45
Print Post  
My cj3a is totally impractical but fun and cheap to have around. It is incredibly easy to work on. Plus there's a ton of family history with mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo