Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Help needed on Bestop Install (Read 97 times)

trijjicon
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Help needed on Bestop Install
04/07/17 at 19:22:03
Print Post  
My 3A didn't have the door-side slide channels.So Bestop made me a custom pair. When we tried to slide the door into the channel it met a very large bump about right in the middle. This is where 2 pieces of vinyl were joined. The door wouldn't slide past that. How do we solve that problem? Thnx

IP Logged

64CJ5
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Re: Help needed on Bestop Install
Reply #1 - 04/07/17 at 22:23:35
Print Post  
I spread the channel where the door starts in and rounded the sharp end edges with a file.  It is still tight.  The hole length may be need to be spread.

The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

IP Logged

MikeB
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps,
when my wife lets me.

Reply #2 - 04/14/17 at 12:31:14
Print Post  
Had the same problem with mine, flare out the end of the channel and use a little bar soap to help the vinyl slide.

IP Logged

trijjicon
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 04/18/17 at 09:24:01
Print Post  
I hear what u guys r saying and I thank u for the help. I did try to spread the ends but had to continue spreading all the way up. Kinda messed up the channel trying to hold it with vise grips & with a vise. Then I couldn't get the vinyl to stay in the channel. Typical me, the more I tried to "fix" it...the worse I made it. A machinist at one of the shops I frequent, suggested why not go at it this way. Fix the vinyl, not the channel. Take it an upholster, he said. That worked out really well. Just need to fine tune it abit more & I think I'll be just fine. I'll post photos when I'm satisfied with the result. Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo