Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tail light spray tint removal? (Read 381 times)

MikeB
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps,
when my wife lets me.

Tail light spray tint removal?
02/11/17 at 11:55:11
Print Post  
While not a Willys specific question, it could be of use to others, and with the vast wealth of knowledge on this forum, someone has probably come across this before.

The DPO of my new to me towing rig, used a spray on tint on the tail lights. I hate it and want to remove it. New lights are $350 each.

I've read brake cleaner, works, same with brake fluid, but my experience with both is it will cause hazing and cracking over time on the clear plastic of the lenses.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

IP Logged

1955CJ-5
Flatfender Master
2013 Sponsor Member
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

It wasn't always green....

Re: Tail light spray tint removal?
Reply #1 - 02/11/17 at 12:52:43
Print Post  
I would try a plastic polish/cleaner like Meguiar's Plastx or similar. I would not try any solvent or brake fluid as you may get a lot more than you bargained for.

Also they sell those kits for polishing clouded headlight lenses...I've seen them at O'reillys..

There is some other stuff called Krud Kutter Graffitti Remover that is a mild paint remover....but I have NOT tried it on plastic..effective everywhere else though!
« Last Edit: 02/11/17 at 13:04:20 by 1955CJ-5 »  

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

IP Logged

macrisel
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Always in the middle of
a project

Re: Tail light spray tint removal?
Reply #2 - 02/17/17 at 16:07:46
Print Post  
I have had really good luck with Mothers NuLens headlight restoration kits.  Basically you wet sand the light with three different grits using a cordless drill then move on to a final polish.  I really didn't believe it until I tried it..........made a believer out of me.

Here is the Walmart link but you can find it just about anywhere...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/36030674?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=222...

Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo