Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Problems with reaching the gas pedal? (Read 2043 times)

garage gnome
YaBB Administrator
2013 Sponsor Member

Rustologist

Problems with reaching the gas pedal?
07/06/14 at 12:29:01
Print Post  
This is a simple and easy modification to make if you find it difficult to get your big foot on the skinny pedal. All you need is a brake pedal from an M38A1 or a later CJ5. They are narrower by half an inch and slightly longer making it much easier to access the gas pedal.

I did this modification to Ted and I can't believe the difference.

And if you can't find a steel brake pedal, a rubber one works too. I've been running this on my red jeep for years. I never realized how much easier it was to get on the gas pedal until Bob W told me about the difference in pedals.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

IP Logged

macrisel
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Always in the middle of
a project

Re: Problems with reaching the gas pedal?
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 09:37:32
Print Post  
I can't tell you how nice this would be on my jeep.  That has been a complaint of mine since I finished mine up!  My big clodhoppers have problems fitting in to the gas pedal.

Definately going to keep an eye open for a new pedal!

Thanks!

IP Logged

garage gnome
YaBB Administrator
2013 Sponsor Member

Rustologist

Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 18:16:11
Print Post  
I have a spare if you need it.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

IP Logged

GaryM
Grease Monkey

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #3 - 05/28/19 at 00:59:29
Print Post  
Thanks for the great idea! I too was having problems catching my foot under the brake pedal of my 3B. I ended up cutting about 3/4 inch of one side, angling it at the bottom and then welding the flange back on. It works a lot better.  Gary

IP Logged

SteveKfl
Grease Monkey

Reply #4 - 05/28/19 at 08:35:43
Print Post  
Hey Guys.  At 6'4" I found my knees up too high on my DJ for good leverage on the forward and down pedal arch action, as well as the gas/brake pedal overlap with size 12s.  I shortened the pedal shaft 1", turned both clutch and brake pedals in at the bottom towards the steering shaft (brake same angle as the gas pedal) and straightened out the shaft's arch raising the pedals up, and in direct line with my knees.  I also made an extended 1" up 'pivot bracket' for the gas pedal aligning it better with my foot taking some of the 'toes back to the shin' away to get on/off the pedal.  All provides a more comfortable flat placement for my feet on the pedals.  I also moved the dimmer switch up to the upper corner so I have a flat floor for my clutch foot to rest flat on the floor.  Sorry, I can't master the 'adding pics' yet, says pics are too large.

My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Reply #5 - 05/28/19 at 10:45:03
Print Post  
Had SteveKfl not posted, I don't know if I'd have come across this thread started by garage gnome.

I posted on the CJ3B Forum back in 2012 about a disparity I ran into when ordering parts.

I had worn pedals and was looking to replace with new (fresh diamond pattern).  What I found out was all vendors I contacted were offering one pedal (short shaft/ wide pad) with the explanation that this was the correct part for all jeeps.

My thread here:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cj3b_bulletin_board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4186&p=2...

Had I not owned an example of a narrow pad (and holding this example in my hands) I would have accepted what I was being told.  Over time, I have been able to collect a couple of the narrow pads but they have the shorter shafts.

I'd read years ago of the possibility of these pedals I have as being military.  That was a good explanation.

I have also documented 2 other CJ-3B models (one a '54 and the other a '55) with the same narrow pads.  Coincidence?  Very possible but at the same time, I also believe there's room to discuss this narrow pedal could be found on some 3B jeeps - possibly as stock.  My problem has been that since I have pedals and I've been concerned with other more pressing items to document, I haven't dug into this more.

Is there a vendor that offers these narrow pedals or all the available ones are take-offs from old jeeps?

I'm looking forward to seeing us become residents here in this Forum.  Lots of information that may actually cross over!

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

Mark W.
3A Lover

Chug A Lug

Reply #6 - 06/02/19 at 18:01:21
Print Post  
When you say Narrow Pedal are you talking about the CJ5 style that is small enough to put the Rubber pads on? I cut mine down to fit a set of the pads I found NOS at a very good price. My pedals were smooth with just the lip on one side. I now have Rubber padded pedals.

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5   Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pieces.

IP Logged

Rus Curtis
3A Lover

Retired

Reply #7 - 06/02/19 at 21:25:23
Print Post  
Not sure Mark, which is why I posted.  There is a small pad brake/clutch pedal designed for a rubber cover. 

What I'm referring to is from the original post where the images show a long and narrow - with diamond pattern.  From my measurements, I have both the 3 3/4" wide pedal (long) and the 3 3/8" pedal (narrow) - I've been calling it "short" but both of them had the diamond pattern.  I'll assume the diamond pattern was never intended to have a rubber cover added to improve "grip."

From my limited ability to compare, I have assumed the narrow smooth pedal was intended to have a rubber cover so that it would create the grip needed to keep your foot from sliding off.

Keep in mind most of my statements are speculation.  The only hard examples I can fall back on are the jeeps I've seen the small pedals on.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

IP Logged

mtnman37879
Flatfender Enthusiast

Plays With Jeeps

Reply #8 - 06/07/19 at 19:12:36
Print Post  
That big foot rest to the right of the gas pedal was put there for a reason. Seems no one uses it. Put your clodhopper on the foot rest and rock it to the left to go fast and rock it to the right to go slow. Don't put your whole foot on the pedal, just the edge of the shoe sole touches the gas pedal. The foot rest is also height adjustable to make it comfortable for the driver. Also it makes it easy to have pedal control when bouncing through the rough. No need to change the brake pedal. I wear a size 13...

People think I go out of my way to piss them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.
IP Logged

Mark W.
3A Lover

Chug A Lug

Reply #9 - 06/09/19 at 11:11:11
Print Post  
This is what I ended up with after trimming down my large smooth pedals.

I measured the inside of the rubber pedal cover and then cut the pedal down  about a 1/16th under that and the covers slipped right on.

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5   Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pieces.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo