Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Soft pedal after bleeding brakes? (Read 7308 times)

ersatzS2
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Soft pedal after bleeding brakes?
01/16/12 at 10:54:51
Print Post  
Finally got around to bleeding brakes.  discovered huge amounts of air in the rear lines, along with ugly looking fluid.  So I started from scratch, and adjusted all four brakes, then bled systematically from right rear to front left.  Entire system has new fluid, and no air.  Furthermore, pads are all close to drum now, unlike previously.
So why do I now have a soft pedal?  Travel is 2/3s way to floor on first application.  Then with two pumps, it is up high and very firm.  In fact it is firm on the first application, just has lots of travel.  I'm mystified, it doesn't seem logical. 

Now that shoes are adusted, presumably the brake cylinders have a bit further to travel than before?  But that's the only thing I can imagine would cause pedal to travel more than before, especially since there was so much air in line previously.

Thoughts?  Thanks! 

1951 CJ-3A

IP Logged

bretto
3A Guru

OD 3A cousin

Re: Soft pedal after bleeding brakes?
Reply #1 - 01/16/12 at 11:13:48
Print Post  
The brake cylinders wont have anymore travel than before, the pistons will be further out but they stay out.  Sounds like your MC may be leaking back.

Brett Orem, UT  PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD

IP Logged

Carls_jeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #2 - 01/16/12 at 16:25:42
Print Post  
No, your brake shoes are not adjusted as close as you think they are. If the pedal is firm when you push it down the first time then there is little or no air. Now, go back and readjust the shoes and pay particular attention to them slightly dragging when you lock the adjuster down. When you adjust them you want a very slight drag on the drum as it turns and after the first few stops they will not drag.

There is a slot in the drum into which your supposed to slide a feeler gauge to check the clearance of the shoe to the drum. Did you do that? I doubt you did. However, if you use the slight drag trick it will work. Setting the gap from top to bottom is tricky and most people can't do it right.
« Last Edit: 01/16/12 at 16:29:19 by Carls_jeep »  

IP Logged

rocketeer
Flatfender Master

Support Our Troops.

Reply #3 - 01/16/12 at 23:16:57
Print Post  
It's critical that brakes be adjusted using the factory method. If the top and bottom are not carefully adjusted together here's what can happen:

If the bottom is too close then when the brakes are applied the bottom of the shoe will contact the drum long before the top and in some instances the top will never make contact -> spongy brakes (you're flexing the shoes).

If the top is too close then the top makes contact and the bottom never does -> hard brake pedal but insufficient stopping power (not enough shoe contacting the drum).

You can't adjust one all the way and then the other. You must use a feeler gauge. You'll find that you'll actually have to back one end off in order to get the other where it touches the feeler gauge. It will take several top then bottom then top etc before you achieve the correct balance.

http://www.vernco.com/Brakes/id348.htm

Larry

IP Logged

Carls_jeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #4 - 01/17/12 at 09:53:29
Print Post  
Yep, using the feeler gauge is the best way and it does take several adjustments top and bottom on each shoe to get them right.

You can't skip through adjusting the brakes correctly. It takes a lot of time to do it right.

There's something else that is seldom if ever done now, grinding the shoe to fit the drum. When the drums are turned and new shoes are installed the shoes have to be ground to have the same arc the drum has so they fit flush all the way from the top to the bottom of the shoe. If that is done the brakes will stop better.

The common way now is to let the shoes wear in to fit the drum rather than grind the shoe to fit the drum.
« Last Edit: 01/17/12 at 09:57:05 by Carls_jeep »  

IP Logged

F Bill
Flatfender Master

Reply #5 - 01/17/12 at 11:18:28
Print Post  
Carls_jeep wrote on 01/17/12 at 09:53:29:
There's something else that is seldom if ever done now, grinding the shoe to fit the drum. When the drums are turned and new shoes are installed the shoes have to be ground to have the same arc the drum has so they fit flush all the way from the top to the bottom of the shoe. If that is done the brakes will stop better.

The common way now is to let the shoes wear in to fit the drum rather than grind the shoe to fit the drum.

You can thank Osha for that... they outlawed grinding the brake shoes due to asbestos issues. About the only way to do it now is put some heavy sandpaper inside your drum and sand against it with the shoe. Modern brake material is not supposed to contain asbestos but all the drum arcing machines are tossed in the scrap barrel by now. I just let mine wear in...We were taught in college in 1980 to arc them.. the next year they took the arcing machines away.

Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

IP Logged

aboyandhisdog
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

Reply #6 - 01/17/12 at 11:24:09
Print Post  
What size feeler gauge?

Tom

IP Logged

rocketeer
Flatfender Master

Support Our Troops.

Reply #7 - 01/17/12 at 13:15:05
Print Post  

Larry

IP Logged

Carls_jeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #8 - 01/17/12 at 13:55:06
Print Post  
They no longer use asbestos in brake shoes as I understand it. Find a shop that has a drum lathe with a brake shoe grinder and have him do them. My brake lathe still has the grinder with it and when I replace my shoes they WILL get ground to fit.

Tom, all this is brake stuff is in the Willys shop manual. You have one don't you?
« Last Edit: 01/17/12 at 13:56:26 by Carls_jeep »  

IP Logged

ersatzS2
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #9 - 01/18/12 at 09:13:44
Print Post  
Great stuff, thanks.  My drums do have the slots and I read about the correct procedure but I inferred from Vern's description that the fact that they eliminated the slots later meant they weren't critical.  Your explanation(s) help me understand why.  I will go back and do it correctly!
« Last Edit: 01/18/12 at 09:15:57 by ersatzS2 »  

1951 CJ-3A

IP Logged

johnnybravo
3A Lover

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #10 - 01/18/12 at 10:04:54
Print Post  
this begs the question...Whay did they eliminate the slots?  I noticed that last night while cleaning the drums for the 3B.

USAR Vet, Retired. MB, GPW, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, '47 WO 4x4 Trk, '47 WO 4X2 Wagon

IP Logged

Carls_jeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #11 - 01/18/12 at 12:57:30
Print Post  
I don't know why they eliminated the slots but I can tell you how I adjust mine and that may be why they removed the slots.

I adjust the top adjuster until the shoe rubs and back it off until it is just touching lightly. Then I do the bottom the same and then check the top and if it only takes a slight movement to make it tight I back it off and go to the other shoe.

I do all four wheels the same and in my mind that is as good as it gets without getting anal about it.

When adjusting brakes with a star wheel as on newer self adjusting systems you snug the adjuster until the wheel stops turning then back the wheel off about 10 clicks and that is about what your doing with the feeler gauge.

IP Logged

Matto
3A Guru
Owner Member 2012

1949 CJ3A  SN#10511  Body

Reply #12 - 01/18/12 at 18:45:24
Print Post  
Johnny, I just replaced a front drum on my 3B with a Rugged Ridge (china) drum. The old drum had the slot and the new one does not. I suspect it was cheaper to skip the slot. I adjust the same as Carl does although the 3B brakes are a little easier with only 1 cam per shoe.

1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,1979 CJ5 plow Jeep,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2011 Ford F150 for dragging cool stuff home Smiley

IP Logged

ersatzS2
Project Jeep

Still Plays With Jeeps

Reply #13 - 01/22/12 at 20:38:19
Print Post  
OK I started over today.  Realized that I must not have adjusted the front lower eccentrics at all since I don't have a gooseneck wrench that is thin enough to get onto the locking nut.  So I'll have to go out and buy a cheapo and grind it down.  But I see what everyone means.  The eccentrics aren't very accurate and you have to make tiny movements to the adjusting pin to get it right.  Also manual says .008 up top and .005 at bottom. 

Job is only halfway done since I can't do fronts without making a tool. 

1951 CJ-3A

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo