Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Air Cleaner (Read 10674 times)

TomJ
3A Lover

'51 CJ3A

Air Cleaner
04/27/11 at 08:39:57
Print Post  
Hi All:

Went through all the posts but didn't see one on this.. can you remove the inside (the wire mesh part) of the air cleaner?  I've tried to get it out but it doesn't want to come, the manual says that it should be flushed out every so often but does that mean the whole unit?

Tom

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Re: Air Cleaner
Reply #1 - 04/27/11 at 11:09:47
Print Post  
Hi Tom.  

(Photo Courtesy of WES K at the G503 Site)

If the oil bath air filter is the original CJ3A type with a curved top, (I have this type)  then the mesh does not come out.  I had the same question some time ago.  It was described to me that cleaning requires taking the entire filter out of the Willys, remove the bottom oil holder pan and dunk the entire top portion that contains the mesh in Kerosene until the mesh is clean.

This was a shock to me as I had just put a good deal of time into cleaning, prepping and painting the oil bath filter.  And now I have to dunk my hard work in a bucket of Kerocene everytime it needs a cleaning? Crazy, but true.  

I believe some of the flat top filters original to MBs GPWs M38s can be taken apart, and the mesh cleaned or replaced.  

« Last Edit: 10/06/17 at 21:06:03 by athawk11 »  

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

rocketeer
Flatfender Master

Support Our Troops.

Reply #2 - 04/27/11 at 11:27:05
Print Post  
The wire mesh is there to keep the bigger chicken feathers out of the intake. The real "cleaning" is done by the oil in the bottom pan. Unless you do a lot of driving out in the fields where larger pieces of straw, hay, mowing clippings and the like can get sucked in, the mesh is not a big concern. If you're only driving a couple/few thousand miles a year I wouldn't worry about it. Clean it once when you first restore it, change the oil in the bottom pan once a year after that, and you should be fine.

I would be willing to bet that there are flat fenders out there that have never, in 60 years, had the mesh cleaned, and they're still running.

Larry

IP Logged

Carlsjeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #3 - 04/27/11 at 11:42:15
Print Post  
I use my cleaning tank and put the fluid in from the top and flush it downward when I service the Jeep.

Wes, I don't think the kerosene will dissolve the paint so you should be ok.

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #4 - 04/27/11 at 13:12:54
Print Post  
This air cleaner was made by Donaldson Co, and up until about 10 years ago, similar models were still in production.  Most of the farm tractors made between 1945 and 1960 used this similar style, so it will take out both the chicken feathers and the light stuff.  The oil gets warmed up by the engine heat and migrates up into the mesh to trap the small specks of dirt that are carried up past the oil bath in the bottom of the cleaner.  Cleaning the mesh is not a common service requirment, especially if you are just using it on the road.

Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

IP Logged

Tumbleweed
Flatfender Master
2016 Sponsor Member

49 CJ3A

Reply #5 - 04/27/11 at 15:01:17
Print Post  
Tom, I was wondering about the same thing. What I ended up doing was getting the oil breather powder coated (protecting the inside from overspray). I figured that the paint would come off when I cleaned it. I just didn't want to take any chances. One of these days I'm going to get an old filter and destroy the inside just to see if the mesh comes out - heck it got in there somehow!

George

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

IP Logged

Carlsjeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #6 - 04/27/11 at 16:17:49
Print Post  
I think you will find they spot welded the two pieces together after they put the element in.

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #7 - 04/27/11 at 20:25:47
Print Post  
I'm going to pull a set of prints on that air cleaner tommorow at work, I looked today and the prints are still in our system, so don't wreck that old air cleaner just yet.

IP Logged

TomJ
3A Lover

'51 CJ3A

Reply #8 - 04/28/11 at 08:35:38
Print Post  
Wow...I love this forum. You guys are awesome!!!!  I kinda suspected that it was one piece but left to my own devices probably would have damaged it trying to get it apart.  I guess the thinking of the day might have been to make it user friendly rather than having to constantly buy filters like we're used to doing today.  Your comments also solved another dilemma, cleaning and painting.
Thanks alot guys.... and hey, by the way athawk11 how do you post pictures like that, I've been trying to figure that out without success.  Even opened a bucket shop account to try and help.

Tom

IP Logged

athawk11
YaBB Administrator
Owner Member 2012
2016 Sponsor Member
2015 Sponsor Member

1949 CJ3A

Reply #9 - 04/28/11 at 12:57:46
Print Post  
Hey Tom.

Through some serious trial and error, I figured out how to get photos here.

Not sure what "Bucket Shop" looks like, but at "Photobucket":

1. Sign Up
2. Follow instructions on how to upload and save to Photobucket from your computer.
3. Once you have a photo album, you will see four sharing options below each of your photos.
4. The last option is called "IMG code".  With your mouse "Left" Click on that box and it will be highlighted.  While it's highlighted , "Right" click it and "copy".
5. Go to your written post on the CJ3A page, "Right" click and "paste" the photo link.  

What you will see initially in your post is just the written link, not the picture.  But if you press the "Preview" option at the bottom of your post and then scroll back up on the page, you will see your post and photo as we will see it once you post your final revision.

Hope this helps.

Tim

2-1949 CJ3A 
1-1946 CJ2A

IP Logged

Carlsjeep
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Reply #10 - 04/28/11 at 13:02:37
Print Post  
Open a site that holds photo's such as PhotoBucket. Upload the photo and if PhotoBucket click on the img llink and it will copy the photo for you into cut and paste. Then open the thread you want the photo in and hit reply. Enter any text you want then hit enter twice and then hold ctrl key and click V key and the photo will be in the post. Then hit post button at bottom of the window and it will all appear in the thread.

IP Logged

TomJ
3A Lover

'51 CJ3A

Reply #11 - 04/28/11 at 16:49:35
Print Post  

IP Logged

TomJ
3A Lover

'51 CJ3A

Reply #12 - 04/28/11 at 16:51:11
Print Post  
I meant Photobucket, I'm a bucket head!!
Got it, thanks again.

Tom

IP Logged

Gunslinger
Flatfender Master
Owner Member 2012

Cj3a, M38A1,

Reply #13 - 04/28/11 at 21:01:48
Print Post  
Hey Tom,
Pulled the old prints today and got several different versions of that air cleaner, in all cases the wire mesh is spot weleded into the upper housing, then the lower body is roll crimped to the upper. The Oil cup is a seperate piece.  If you drop the oil cup, you should see some stamped numbers on the skirt, thats the part that is on the interior face of the upper body and protrudes into the cup when assembled. These stamped numbers tell you the model number and date of manufacture.

Your about half right on the customer friendly service thing, in actuallity the dry paper air cleaners wern't invented yet when these old jeeps were made.  The dry paper air cleaners came around in about 1965, I believe it was first introduced on the John Deere 4010 series tractors.  We've got a photo at work from the 1965 Minnesota State fair from about the time they were introduced.  One thing to keep in mind is that the oil bath air cleaners are only about 97-98% efficient, if you are going to spend a bunch of time in the dirt you may want to upgrade to the dry paper style as they are 99.5% or better efficiency.  Deosnt sound like much but its huge.  You can find one at www.donaldson.com, its a big site so look around for a bit.  This site will also show you where to buy one as they don't do direct sales, evertying is through a distributor.  I would reccomend the 5 inch FRG style if your serious.

IP Logged

TomJ
3A Lover

'51 CJ3A

Reply #14 - 04/29/11 at 06:59:30
Print Post  
No..actually I should be OK.  As this is my first venture into old Jeeps I'm trying to learn as I go, so I'm taking it piece by piece.  Actually it seems like it will be easier to take care of now that I know what I'm dealing with, cleaning will be a straight up knowing I'm not going to hurt anything during the process.  Sounds like you have alot of information at your disposal.

Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print
Bookmarks: Facebook Google Google+ Linked in Twitter Yahoo